This month I chose Orion, the King’s Spymaster in my novel The Queen’s Assassin. He is directly employed by King Hadrian Augusté III, and he is very good at his job.
- Do they want to get married and/or have children? Why or why not?
No one knows if Orion is married. No one knows how many (if any) children he might have, or how many mothers they might have. Orion is a very private person and it’s the only thing that has kept him sane for the last three decades of service to King Hadrian Augusté III.
- What is their weapon of choice? (It doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical weapon.)
Psychology and blackmail are his two favorites… but probably mostly the threat of blackmail. And, no, he’s not pleased to see you – that really is a knife in his pocket.
- What’s the nicest thing they’ve done for someone else, and why did they do it?
It’s actually in the novel. He breaks his vow to observe only unless directed by the king, and he does it for Emmeline. He is tired of watching and never being able to offer kindness to those who deserve it. Emmeline does something no one else ever tried: she asked. Not begging, not pleading, not ordering with false authority – she laid out her heart and she asked. His conscience could not tell her ‘no’.
- Have they ever been physically violent with someone, and what instigated it?
He has had to defend himself against physical violence perpetrated against his person, usually upon delivering any number of threats to any number of nobles on behalf of Hadrian.
- Are they a rule-follower or a rebel?
- Are they organized or messy?
Highly organized. Possibly OCD.
- What makes them feel loved, and who was the last person to make them feel that way?
He and Hadrian have an intense employer-employee relationship. “Loved” might be strong, but his loyalty to Hadrian is what keeps him warm of an evening.
- What do they eat for breakfast?
Soft cinnamon bread with raisins. It’s an indulgence, but one that makes him happy – and he can have it year-round. Routines are important to him.
- Have they ever lost someone close to them? What happened?
*smiles sadly* Not yet. But he does, and it breaks his heart.
- What’s their treat of choice? (Or, if not food, how else do they reward themselves?)
An ale and a night in the city at an inn where no one knows who he is. He likes the noise and the anonymity.